Discover TOP 9 Best eCommerce Website Builders
The world eCommerce market is witnessing an unprecedented fierce race between big companies like Amazon, Shopee, Lazada, etc. Individuals, SMEs, and large corporations are heavily investing in online sales channels. In this article, CO-WELL will review the top 8 best-rated eCommerce website builders, helping you to decide which one is right for you.
1. Magento – The best eCommerce website builder for a large e-commerce store
Magento is a feature-rich, professional open-source eCommerce website. It was launched on March 31, 2008. Magento was once owned by the eBay group. But thanks to its fast and considerable development, Magento has reached out of the reach of eBay and gradually became the platform that is considered the most outstanding with its continuous development and changes over the years.
This eCommerce platform offers many outstanding features. You can manage stores that are operating in many countries with different market targets and brands with different pricing, content and payment systems from a single installation.
Currently, Magento has developed to version 2.2.6 and has 2 versions including:
- Magento Community Edition – Magento version is completely free.
- Magento Enterprise – The professional version of Magento integrates the most powerful features for large enterprises.
- Large user community. Over 25% of online businesses in the world choose Magento as their platform
- Users have full ownership of the software.
- Rich features and a large number of utilities: Support multiple currencies and tax calculator; Integrate most payment gateways you want.
- Thousands of Magento extensions to meet your requirements.
- Magento has been trusted and used by thousands of big names like CocaCola, Samsung, Christian Louboutin, Levi’s, etc. It is enough to see this eCommerce platform that can solve sales problems, marketing and how big a business is.
- Difficult to use and time-consuming if you do not have the technical knowledge.
- High prices. The enterprise version costs up to $18,000.
- Expensive setup and maintenance fees: Need to buy hosting, themes, extensions, etc.
CO-WELL – TOP Magento E-Commerce Service Company
Of course, you can considerably save up on the Magento development costs if you’re tech-savvy or have an in-house IT department. However, Magento is quite a sophisticated platform that requires solid programming skills and a thorough understanding of its peculiarities. Customization of the platform and its integration with third-party systems and services might become a tough task for an inexperienced developer. Thus, hiring a professional Magento development company is an optimal way to achieve successful and fast delivery of an e-commerce store. From 2018, CO-WELL Asia officially became Magento Business Solution Partner. With all the experience and a team of hundreds of skillful IT engineers, CO-WELL Asia is a truthful partner of every company that wants to build an effective Magento eCommerce website.
2. Shopify – The most convenient e-commerce website builder for large online stores
Shopify launched in June 2009, now has more than 600,000 online stores and handles the volume of merchandise valued USD 55 billion. Shopify is used by all types of people, from small to medium entrepreneurs to multi-million dollar businesses. Shopify provides the platform in the form of SaaS (Software-as-a-service), that is, the core system and the platform are hosted on Shopify’s own system. One of the things users love most about Shopify is that it support integrate SEO into the system. You can easily add Meta title, Meta Description, Alt text tags to each article, product or collection easily. In addition, you can integrate Google Analytics and Search Console to optimize SEO.
Shopify offers a 14-day free trial on sub-domains. To start a business, you must sign up for one of the paid plans. There are currently 3 paid versions:
- Basic Shopify ($29 monthly): All the basics for starting a new business.
- Shopify ($79 monthly): Everything you need for a growing business.
- Advanced Shopify ($299 monthly): Advanced features for a scaling your business.
- Sell across multiple channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay.
- Brilliant inventory system which helps you manage your store.
- Various sales features and customer score.
- There are hundreds of theme templates suitable for each industry.
- There is an App Store – where you can choose for your website functions to customize.
- 24/7 support: Shopify provides hotline, email and live chat support.
- The transaction fee for each sale (Unless using Shopify Payment).
- Monthly maintenance cost.
- Knowledge on Liquid is required.
- Content doesn’t automatically reformat if you switch to a different theme.
CO-WELL – TOP Shopify E-Commerce Service Company
Like Magento, building a professional online store on the platform of Shopify require a professional Shopify integration partner if you do not have an in-house IT department. Hiring an experienced IT company is an optimal way to achieve successful and fast delivery of an e-commerce store. With significant experience in building enterprise systems which manage more than 200 stores, over 20 million products and handle around 10,000 orders each day, CO-WELL Asia offers consulting and development services for all-level of eCommerce systems.
3. BigCommerce – Excellent platform for big e-commerce store but weaker website design
BigCommerce is a top eCommerce platform which allows you to create an online store. It lets you set up your store, add products, and make money through your website.
But that’s not all. BigCommerce is a specialized eCommerce builder, meaning it’s designed to help you sell online. With tons of built-in features, data tools, and more, BigCommerce is best for large or fast-growing businesses.
Like Shopify, BigCommerce provides the SaaS platform. It is an online store software, integrated directly with Google Merchant Center, which allows users to promote their products on Google Shopping.
BigCommerce currently offers 4 paid plan:
- Standard: $29.95/month.
- Plus: $79.95/month.
- Pro: $249.95/month.
- Enterprise: Depend on requirements and needs.
- Most scalable eCommerce platform.
- Integrating with major payment gateways such as Stripe, PayPal, Apple Pay, etc.
- Lots of marketing tools including the ability to sell on multiple platforms such as Amazon Marketplace, Facebook, eBay, Pinterest, etc.
- Integrate with many email service providers.
- Strong security system.
- Support different currencies.
- Integrated dropshipping & warehouse.
- Rich theme resource which is fully mobile responsive.
- Excellent SEO tool.
- Complex terminology is unsuitable for beginners.
- Maintenance costs are expensive for individuals.
- No mobile app to run your store on the go.
- Some advertised features are only available to US users.
- BigCommerce operates mainly in Europe – America market and is not really popular in Asia.
Unlike the other platforms in this article, WooCommerce is not an independent eCommerce website builder. It is the plugin that runs on WordPress, the world’s most popular CMS.
WooCommerce is an extremely powerful tool that significantly increases eCommerce functionality for WordPress. It is a favorite tool for many people in the WordPress community, as it is powerful and beginner-friendly. Moreover, it has its own extension section to help your store take the lead in the web world.
WooCommerce can handle many basic tasks, from publishing products to selling goods to processing payments. Moreover, you can add functionality to this plugin with separate extensions. There are hundreds of such extensions. For example, there are options that help you integrate almost every payment processor into.
There are three WooCommerce pricing plans to choose from:
- Starter: $13.99 (Webspace limited to 100 GB)
- Plus: $17.99 (Unlimited space for your WooCommerce store)
- Pro: $31.99 (Includes an advanced backup solution)
- Use WordPress CMS to deploy your online store.
- Customize your store easily with a vast selection of WooCommerce’s own plugin and extensions, which can make your online store even more powerful.
- Various theme resources with eye-catching designs.
- Supported by a huge community of WordPress users.
- Only works on WordPress.
- More advanced features often require different extensions.
- Lack of support: Unlike Shopify, you will not have central support. Every theme, plugin, and hosting come from different support channel.
5. WIX.com – A good choice for small boutique online stores
Wix eCommerce uses the easy and intuitive drag-and-drop editor, allowing you to build your very own eCommerce website. No need for coding, hosting, or stressing – simply pick your template, customize it by dragging and dropping elements like text boxes and images around your pages, and then hit publish!
There are three Wix eCommerce plans to choose from:
- Business Basic: $17/month
- Business Unlimited: $25/month
- Business VIP: $35/month
- Really easy to use – no tech skills needed. Features-Packed Drag & Drop Editor.
- Value for money.
- Lots of creative control and eye-catching design– you can design your store, add product videos, and more.
- Advanced eCommerce tools – including abandoned cart recovery to catch customers who have left items in their checkout.
- Excellent SEO tool.
- Less powerful inventory than other platforms – for example, you can’t bulk upload products with Wix.
- No stock management alerts – Wix won’t tell you when levels are running low, making it difficult to scale.
- Doesn’t support multichannel selling.
6. Volusion – Better design, great for sales and reporting, but a little hard to use.
Volusion was created in 1999 and is one of the oldest eCommerce website builders around. Volusion provides no illusions when it comes to data reports. Everything you need for tracking your site’s performance and progress is in one place – it’s a data lover’s dream.
This makes it ideal for growing your business at a pace that suits you. Volusion’s data tools let you measure how successful your pages are, so you can easily adjust your site to improve your sales.
Volusion scored poorly for its website features – the main problem being that Volusion doesn’t offer any blogging tools. Blogging can play an important part in the growth of small businesses, so this is a major drawback. However, if you want to grow your business, Volusion is a decent place to start.
There are 4 Volusion price plans to choose from:
- Personal (USD 29/month).
- Pro (USD 79/month).
- Business (USD 299/month).
- Prime (Custom).
- Supports numerous payment gateways – choose from various options to suit your business.
- Insightful data reports – learn what you’re doing well by easily tracking your site’s performance.
- Mobile app: Volusion lets you manage your online store from your phone with its excellent mobile app
- No blogging tools.
- Very difficult to use – you’ll have to spend some time building your store with Volusion.
- No real unique selling point.
7. Weebly – Help you to have a good website, but lacks some sales features
Weebly is one of the best drag-and-drop website builders on the market today. Not only are there plenty of options available, but Weebly eCommerce is also one of the easiest platforms to use for building your own online store.
There are 3 Weebly plans for online stores to choose from (billed annually):
- Pro (Group & Organization): USD 12/month.
- Business (Small Businesses & Stores): USD 25/month.
- Business Plus (Power Sellers): USD 38/month.
- Reasonable price, with notably cheap starter prices.
- Really easy to use – no tech skills needed.
- Offers great additional features such as blogging tools.
- Cannot sell across multiple channels (You can’t sell across Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest)
- Lacks big data tools such as inventory management, making it unsuitable for large businesses
- Unable to customize the checkout page
- Poor sale features. That’s why we recommend it for small businesses only selling a few products.
8. Squarespace – Designed as a website builder, Squarespace is also a great e-commerce platform.
If you’re looking to build an eye-catching portfolio or online business, then make space for this platform. Why? Because Squarespace stores stand out.
In our research, Squarespace outperformed all other e-commerce website builders when it came to designing. Its templates are modern, sleek, and built to show off your products. You can even switch your template any time you like – perfect for any rebrands you might have down the line.
There are 4 Squarespace price plans for online stores to choose from (billed annually)
- $12/m – Personal.
- $18/m – Business Most Popular.
- $26/m – Basic Store.
- $40/m – Advanced Store.
- Exceptional website design options.
- Cheaper than e-commerce competitors.
- Excellent social media integration – easily promote your store across your various social channels.
- Easy to use.
- Lacks payment options – you can only use Stripe, PayPal, or Apple Pay.
- Poor support multichannel selling (only through Instagram).
- Reporting is a little basic.
- No app market – all of Squarespace’s features are built-in. While this ensures quality, it means you can’t add extras to your store.
9. GoDaddy – Easiest to use
GoDaddy’s website builder, GoCentral, can help you get your eCommerce store up and running in a flash.
Through the use of ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence), creating a layout, uploading your products, and managing your sales has never been easier!
There are 3 Squarespace price plans to choose from (billed annually)
- Basic: $10/month
- Standard: $15/month
- Premium: $20/month
- ECommerce: $25/month
- Fastest and easiest to build – GoDaddy uses ADI to make building your store as simple as possible.
- Supports more industries than its competitors – whether you’re a photographer, writer, or dog walker, GoDaddy’s got you covered.
- Great marketing tools for email campaigns and performance analysis
- Some features lack quality – GoDaddy doesn’t have the best features around.
- Can’t sell products across social media directly
- Limited creative control – what you gain in speed, you lose in creative freedom.
Nowadays, creating an online store is easier than ever. The best eCommerce platform above will help you quickly create an online store in just a few hours. A good platform for your online store with a partner to help you to integrate and develop eCommerce system will ensure the success of your business.